I have recently been approved to be a Biogen Idec MS advocate. Biogen Idec is the company behind Avonex and Tysabri. I am speaking at a MS event mid-October. I think there will be over 100 people based on the turnout of similar events. Biogen Idec brings in a neurologist to talk about recent developments or certain therapies and they also serve dinner. I am the opening act. I have to put together a twenty minute speech about my MS and related experiences. As I think about all that I have to say, I know I can talk for twenty minutes. I just have to figure out how to organize my thoughts, the most important things to say and how to hold every ones attention. I have to be more appealing than the chocolate cake.
I decided to speak at an MS event hosted by Biogen Idec instead of my local MS chapter because I think I can reach more people. I will have to talk a little bit about my diagnosis and course of treatment but I want to focus on the importance of:
1. Choosing a good doctor
2. forming a support team
3. talking openly
4. listen and be open to new ideas
5. change your diet and exercise plan if necessary
6. be the boss of your health care
7. challenge your doctor & stay on top of your insurance company
8. research and educate yourself about MS and new developments
Here is how I am thinking about opening my speech.
“I want to open by saying something that we will agree on. MS SUCKS!
MS Sucks for those of us that have MS and for the people that love us. We are moms and dads, sisters and brothers. We are students and professionals. We have passions and hobbies. We are athletes and gardeners and travelers. We had our futures planned without MS.
It is my mission to make MS suck less for myself and my family and for you.”
So what do you think? Too harsh? I could do the typical, “Hi my name is Courtney and I was diagnosed with MS in July of 2006……..”
I would really appreciate your input and will post the full speech when I put it together.
- I tweet regularly about minimalism, simple living, and #project333 here: @bemoreithless - Come on over and say hello! 4 years ago
- RT @wegoamanda: My latest blog feature on The Ride Project's @CourtneyCarver and her #MS blog story: http://ning.it/aQLyKG 7 years ago
- RT @MyelinRepairFdn: Congratulations to Scott Johnson for being selected as a finalist for Ernst & Young's Entrepreneur Of The Year... h ... 7 years ago
- RT @ThisIsSethsBlog: Seth's Blog: Will you miss them if they leave? (Call for linchpins) http://bit.ly/an0RhP 7 years ago
- RT @thebowenagency: Intro: RuthAnn Bowen, owner of The Bowen Agency PR, helping start ups and small businesses who don't know zip about ... 7 years ago