While I typically adhere to the rule, “Never say never”, I can say that there are some things you will NEVER see me eating or drinking. You will NEVER see me eating a fat juicy steak and you will NEVER see me using artificial sweetener. That being said, as careful as I like to be about what I eat and drink, I do have a dirty little secret….
I am addicted to COKE. Of course, I am talking about Coca – Cola. I am not addicted to soda or Pepsi or any other form of soft drink, just Coke. I am addicted to the flavor, to the noise that the bubbles make inside the can, to the sound of coke pouring over ice and especially to the first sip. I am even addicted to Coke slogans like “Have a Coke and a smile”, “it’s the real thing” or “open happiness”. I like their marketing and love their product.
I have quit drinking Coca Cola several times in my life (proof that I am an addict) and have gone without it for months and even years. I know that soda does not contribute to a healthy lifestyle and it probably doesn’t really make me happier but I LOVE how it makes me feel. I don’t drink Coke every day (but I want to!).
Aside from the horrible things that can happen from drinking coke (weight gain, tooth decay, bone density issues), I wanted to know why Coca Cola made me feel so great and did a little research.
Amazingly, the internet had the answer to my exact question:
What Happens To Your Body If You Drink A Coke Right Now?
Have you ever wondered why Coke comes with a smile? It’s because it gets you high. They took the cocaine out almost a hundred years ago. You know why? It was redundant.
- In The First 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor allowing you to keep it down.
- 20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (There’s plenty of that at this particular moment)
- 40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, as a response your livers dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked preventing drowsiness.
- 45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.
- >60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.
- >60 Minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolyte and water.
- >60 minutes: As the rave inside of you dies down you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, pissed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like even having the ability to hydrate your system or build strong bones and teeth.
This will all be followed by a caffeine crash in the next few hours. (As little as two if you’re a smoker.) But, hey, have another Coke, it’ll make you feel better.
Here’s the link:
As for me, starting tomorrow, I am off the Coke! What’s your dirty little food secret?